Wednesday, April 23, 2008

One Lesson (a short post)

Today in class Professor Lewis asked us to talk about how our thoughts about the media have evolved through the readings and discussions we've had together, and I think I articulated the way I feel pretty well.

Before this course I hadn't given some, but not nearly as much thought to the media in terms of its representation of Americans and American culture. Well, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I hadn't really thought of the media as an entity that is or should be responsible for representing everyone in the US until I listened to the strong opinions of people who felt unrepresented, underrepresented or misrepresented by it. That's when I started to realize the power of the media to impact the way people think about each other and themselves, and the extent to which great responsibility comes along with that power.

No comments: