Friday, April 4, 2008

Introduction

As part of my final exam for a fantastic course I'm taking called "Impact of Race in America on the Media and the International Press", the professor, Ida Lewis, has asked that we keep a journal of our observations and thoughts regarding the mass media.

"You must analyze the media's view or influence on race, class, or gender issues in our society and your opinion or reaction. Each entry in the journal must be dated when you wrote it. There must be two entries a week. One or two pages per entry. The entry must be intellectually stimulated. Each entry must include a complete copy of each article, media story, cartoon, etc., referred to in the journal next to your dated entry about it. You may use a variety of sources (television, radio, magazines, cartoons, commercials, newspapers, etc.) including the internet."

I saw this as a great opportunity to publish myself (I have to do it anyway, why not share it in the form of a blog?) I also see it as a fantastic opportunity to take advantage of my social and academic network of intelligent, observant and involved friends and colleagues. One of the character traits I've been looking to improve in myself is welcoming debate and controversy more willingly, and expressing my opinions more often and more articulately, especially in the face of dissent. I invite you to comment and question the observations I put here. I don't want this to be a typical BS'd "journal for class" assignment if I can avoid it, I'd like it to be a place for intellectual stimulation and debate.

So, welcome to my journal! Click back once or twice a week and call me on my BS.

No comments: